- 2 pounds jumbo shrimp with heads
- 8-10 cups of chicken broth or water
- 6-8 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 medium size shallots, coarsely chopped
- 2 firm tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 8 oz. can or 2 cups fresh straw mushrooms drained and halved
- 6-10 small green chilies, stems removed and halved lengthwise (depending on hotness desired)
- 2-3 tablespoons fish sauce, to taste
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 4-5 drops of Lemongrass Essential Oil
- 1 inch piece of fresh galangal, thinly sliced or 1 Tablespoon of minced ginger
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, coarsely torn or 1 teaspoon of lime zest
Shell and de-vein shrimp can either leave tail on or take off. Reserve shells and head for broth. Butterfly the shrimp. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
In a large saucepan combine shrimp heads, shells with broth or water. Bring to a boil. Use skimmer to remove and discard the heads and shells. Add garlic, shallots, and galangal or ginger to the broth. Stir once or twice.
Add tomatoes, mushrooms, chilies, fish sauce and kaffir lime leaves or lime zest. Lower heat to a simmer for 2 minutes. Increase heat back to a boil. Add shrimp and briskly boil for a minute. Remove from heat add the lime juice and the Lemongrass Essential Oil. Transfer to bowls for serving, garnish with fresh cilantro, and serve.
Lemongrass Essential Oil- May help improve digestion, reduce stress, promote sleep, opens breathing and sinus passages, uplifts mood, and improves alertness.