I have always enjoyed learning and teaching myself about the chakra system and how they play such an important role in our journey of life. I get asked pretty frequently about how to incorporate aromatherapy into chakra balancing or clearing chakra blockages so I figured I would spend some time today going over this topic a bit.
So if you haven’t worked with energy before, you might be asking yourself “What is all this chakra stuff?”. Chakras are energy, and energy is life. The chakras is where universal energy flows, it comes up from the earth and passes through our energy field at each chakra point. It doesn’t move in a straight line though, it is cyclic.
Author David Pond explains how the chakras correlate to our life journey with this simple explanation: “Picture the spine as an elevator shaft and the chakras as the various floors from which we can experience life. When you rise from one floor of consciousness to another, your perceptive expands. Or imagine the chakras as seven floors of a building. When you are on the bottom floor and looking out the window, the view is significantly different from the view through each of the other floors. With each successive elevation, one’s view becomes successively more expansive.”
When you are working with the chakras, you want them to be balanced. Any un-balance can cause unwanted situations and trigger issues related with that chakra.
THE 7 CHAKRAS
There are seven main chakras that fall along different areas of the body. We are going to start at the bottom with the first chakra and work our way up and I will explain each one and which essential oils you can use to help balance these chakras.
- The Root Chakra (Muladhara)
Location: The base of the tailbone.
– The Root Chakra is the first one, located at the base of the tailbone and opens downward. This chakra is associated with the element of Earth and the basis of life. This chakra focuses on “grounding” or “rooting” which represents stability and security, and being at one with life and ourselves. When you start working with your chakra system, this is where you will start. You cannot balance any other chakras without balancing the ones that come before it.
Essential oils that can be used to help balance the Root Chakra are: Citronella, Eucalyptus 80/85, Dalmation sage, Spanish Sage, Summer Savory, White Thyme, Vetiver, Cedarwood, Patchouli, and Myrrh.
- The Sacral Chakra (Svadisthana)
Location: Upper part of the sacrum below the navel.
– The Sacral Chakra is the second chakra and corresponds to the element of Water and is associated with sexual energy, or “prana”. It is also associated with creativity, enthusiasm, friendships/relationships, and feelings of joy. When the Sacral Chakra is not in balance, we can have feelings of anger, jealousy, overprotectiveness, and just an inability to feel love. Essential oils that can be used to balance the Sacral Chakra are: Damiana, Davana, Laurel Berry, Mentha Citrata, Dalmation Sage, Summer Savory, Black Spruce, Hemlock Spruce, Tea Tree, White Thyme, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Jasmine, Rose, Ylang-Ylang, and Champaca.
- The Solar Plexus Chakra (Manipura)
Location: Between the navel and the bottom of the sternum.
– The Solar Plexus Chakra is the third in the chakra system is yellow which symbolizes the Sun, but it is also associated with the element of Fire. The Solar Plexus is the location where we hold our power, expansiveness, and growth. When this chakra is out of balance, you can be experiencing feelings of sadness, disgust, fear, jealousy, anxiety, stress, and being opinionated. Essential oils that can be used to help balance the Solar Plexus Chakra are: Clary Sage, Juniper, Geranium, Galbanum, Lemongrass, Bigarde Petitgrain, Pine, Cineole Rosemary, Dalmation Sage, Summer Savory, Spikenard, Black Spruce, White Thyme, and Vetiver.
- The Heart Chakra (Anahata)
Location: At the center of the chest on the sternum.
– The Heart Chakra is the fourth chakra and represents love, passion, compassion, empathy, and devotion. But not just love as in loving another person, or loving your children. It represents the love of all things. The Heart Chakra is symbolized by the element of Air. When this chakra is out of balance, we can experience anxiety, hatefulness, a feeling of longing, arrogance, incompetence, discrimination, and a defiant attitude. The Heart Chakra is considered at the middle of the chakra system and often called the gateway to conciousness, because once you have balanced chakras 1-4, the following chakras 5-7 are more of the spiritual enlightenment aspect. You can use essential oils to balance the Heart Chakra such as Rose, Melissa, Neroli, Ginger, Goldenrod, Guaiacwood, Helichrysum, Hyssop, Linaloe, Litsea Cubeba, Lovage, Palmarosa, Cineole Rosemary, Rosewood, Spikenard, and Wintergreen.
- The Throat Chakra (Vishuddha)
Location: Between the collar bone and larynx in the neck.
– The Throat Chakra is the fifth chakra and it is associated with the element ether/akasha. Vishuddha means “to purify” and the lotus has 16 petals which are linked to each of the Sanskrit vowels, mantra, or a musical tone. The Throat Chakra is like a bridge from the heart where we start to raise our conciousness. It takes us from the physical aspect, to the spiritual aspect. This chakra represents our voice of goodness and speaking kind words, having fluent thoughts, feeling independent and secure in our life journey and our choices or decisions. When the Throat Chakra is not balanced, we can be speaking hurtful words, or we speak bitterly with the intention to hurt or break down others including ourselves. Essential oils that can be used to help balance this chakra are Lavender, Roman Chamomile, Rosemary, Thyme, Sage, Allspice Berry, Erigeron, Marigold Absolute, Patchouli, Sandalwood, and Tea Tree.
- The Third Eye/Brow Chakra (Ajna)
Color: Deep Blue or White
Location: The center of the brow.
– The Third Eye Chakra is also known as the Brow Chakra. Either name is fine to use. This chakra is represented by 2 petals which stand for the two aspects of prana that meet here. It represents the element of Ether. When the Third Eye Chakra is balanced, you are able to step beyond the physical mind of desires and enter realms of knowledge and wisdom. When this chakra is not balanced or blocked, you will tend to use your own powers or insight for negative things and spiritual arrogance. You mistaken information gathered with knowledge received or gained from insight. The Third Eye Chakra is used for intuition, deep meditations, and emotional clarity. Essential oils to assist in opening or balancing this chakra are Frankincense, Holy Basil, Peppermint, Spanish Sage, Tangerine, and Ylang-Ylang #2.
- The Crown Chakra (Sahasrara)
Location: Top of the head.
– The Crown Chakra is the last of the seven chakras. This chakra represents meditation, universal consciousness, being, and unity through transcendental consciousness. This is the place of pure consciousness and the balance of duality within us. It is hard to describe the Crown Chakra on a personal level because it is something that one must experience themselves to understand. It is a feeling of being completely one hundred percent at peace with all that is. When it is out of balance, many people often experience constant headaches which can mean you have an overactive mind, or your thoughts are so burdened with worry or obsession. You can use essential oils to help calm your mind and to balance or open the crown chakra. Essential oils you would want to use are White Thyme, Ylang-Ylang, Rosewood, Lime, Pink Lotus, White Lotus, or Blue Lotus.
When working with the chakra system and achieving balance or if you are wanting to open the chakras, it is important to prepare yourself and come up with your own rituals or ceremonies for this process. This gives intention for your actions and when you are wanting/needing to do energy work, these small phsyical actions will help calm your mind and prepare yourself in focusing on what you are wanting to do. Here are some examples that you can try out…
- Smudging before meditation.
- Washing your hands with cold water before and after your session.
- Belly breathing through meditations.
- 4 Part Breathing (breathe in for 10 seconds, hold your breath for 5 seconds, breathe out for 10 seconds, hold your breath for 5 seconds)
- Check chakra flow using a pendulum or doing an aura check.
- Color channeling to each chakra.
- Using sound therapy such as tibetan singing bowls.
- Using crystals that are associated with each chakra.